Re: Sig attribution (Re: Debian 10 freezes upon shutdown, reboot and logout)

On Monday, September 30, 2019 07:33:43 AM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, September 29, 2019 11:31:55 PM Beco wrote:
> > > "I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not
> > > sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan
> > > Greenspan
>
> Interesting.  I'm almost sure that somebody else said that before Greenspan
> (or something very similar), but I'm not ready to go googling atm.

Ok, I did a *little* googling (well, actually ddg'ing) and found the below,
but I don't even think that is the earliest use of the phrase (better word --
aphorism?) -- when I was very young (well, actually before I was born ;-), I
remember sayings like this (I mean, sort of humorous sayings) being passed
around in various ways, including on some commercially printed little cards
that you could post somewhere (like on your desk, or a bulletin board, or
such) -- I'm not sure whether this was one of those or not (and my stack of
those is long gone):

From:
[[https://www.reddit.com/r/QuotesPorn/comments/40pwgx/i_know_you_think_you_understand_what_you_thought/]]

`
UncleSaddam
2 points ·
3 years ago

    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

    Attributed to Robert McCloskey, U.S. State Department spokesman, by Marvin
Kalb, CBS reporter, in TV Guide, 31 March 1984, citing an unspecified press
briefing during the Vietnam war.

Misattributed to Alan Greenspan:

    I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure
you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

    Attributed to Greenspan by Rupert Cornwell, "Alan Greenspan: The buck
starts here", The Independent, 27 April 2003, citing an unspecified Capitol
Hill hearing.
'