bluetooth and Debian 10

Yesterday, I finally got around to upgrading from Debian 9 to 10. After
I finished, my bluetooth speaker stopped working reliably. It does
always connect, and, when it does, it may or may not display in
pavucontrol and doesn't appear in phonon at all. When I change its
settings on the configuration tab of pavucontrol, the next time I open
pavulcontrol, it's turned off. Once or twice, I've managed to get
sound, but the same settings don't always work after I reboot.

The speaker links with my machine when it turns on, and is listed as
connected. It works with other computers and phones. Various utilities
like bluez provide no help. I've checked the alsa and pulseaudio
packages installed, and everything I need is there.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious,
but I'm at a loss to suggest what. Any suggestions?

ooooo
Bruce Byfield (on Pacific time) 604-421-7189
"Designing with LibreOffice": www.designingwithlibreoffice.com
Prentice Pieces: https://prenticepieces.com/