Re: Starting processes after installation

On Thursday 26 September 2019 17:25:11 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 05:08:26PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know much about python, but you definitely don't have to
> > > run Wayland, if you don't want to.  Lots and lots of us don't.
> >
> > Since it seems to be installed  by default, how does one go about
> > expunging it?
>
> It's not.
>
> The only time you get Wayland installed during the normal Debian
> installation is if you select to install Gnome, either explicitly, or
> by selecting to install a Desktop Environment and then not specifying
> which one you want.

That desn't seem to be the case with the arm variants, pieces of x are
missing, I have assumed due to wayland replaceing them.. Not your fault
of coarse. But the guys who have made LCNC run on rpi4's haven't
mentioned problems with it yet.

The buster game is new, and the rules are obviously still being written.

> If you just install "Standard", and un-check "Desktop Environment" and
> all of its sub-choices, you don't get X or Wayland or any of that
> stuff. After that, you can install "xorg" to get the X server, fonts,
> libraries, and core utilities, plus a window manager (or Desktop
> Environment) package of your choice.  Maybe a terminal emulator, if
> you aren't a huge fan of xterm.  Then you're all set.

I normally choose xfce4 on resource limited machines.

> The advantage of doing it THIS way is that you get a chance to install
> firmware, microcode, video drivers, etc. before some dumb-ass policy
> decision tries to launch a Display Manager before you've had a chance
> to make X work.  (Yeah, yeah, you could in theory interact with the
> GRUB menu and force Debian to boot in multi-user.target instead of
> graphical.target. And, hey, you might actually *have* to, if the
> unconfigured X + Display Manager combo locks up your hardware badly
> enough.)

:-)

> Or, you can select a Desktop Environment other than Gnome during the
> installation.  You still end up facing the firmware/etc. issues, but
> at least Wayland won't be installed, and EVEN BETTER STILL, Gnome will
> not be installed!  Rejoice!
>
> There are lots and lots of choices.  Almost none of them give you
> Wayland.

Somebody really should write up those variations so we can make more
intelligent choices. xfce4 is missing a pager. But whatever armbian puts
on a rock64 has one. But I don't recall seeing its gui's name in print.

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis