Re: Starting processes after installation

On Wednesday 25 September 2019 17:15:56 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 September 2019 15:57:47 Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 03:51:39PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Neither of these links adresses the 2 main problems, wrong
> > > networking setup after the first reboot (see ip r) if you are
> > > running a static network defined in each machines /etc/host files,
> > > and only fixable by removing avahi-daemon and dhcpdc
> >
> > Your Raspbian issues are off topic here.
> >
> > Go bitch at Raspbian for shipping a broken or misconfigured DHCP
> > client daemon as their default.  P.S. it's spelled "dhcpcd".  The
> > last two letters stand for "client daemon", which is how you can
> > remember it. The spelling may be important if you actually want to
> > search for information about it, rather than just whining in the
> > wrong place. Again.
>
> Same exact network problem, and fix exists on armbian, on a rock64,
> and on your own 10.0 debian-arm net install tried on both rpi3 and
> rpi4, and I have a 10.1 amd64 dvd I just now dl'd and burned for net
> install under my right hand which will get tried on an intel box
> tomorrow. I will apologize if needed. And you know that too, as I have
> in the past when I was wrong.

And here I am, to announce that my wintel boxes will only be updated to
stretch because there is not a buster compatible LCNC available yet.
That I suspect will be a while as switching to python-3.7, and to
wayland will take some time for our limited manpower.  Too many changes,
too fast.  Not poiinting fingers, just facts our people will have to
code around.

Progress is being made on the arm front although its not been done with
debian due to the debian-arm net installer installing arm64 rather than
armhf. Even on an rpi3b. SPI isn't working 100% yet but has passed some
tests.

One comment re the arms if anybody here cares, the big sandwich style two
piece heat sink assemblies sold by the various vendors, seriously
encroach on the space occupied by a 40 pin header connector, and
requires cutting away for clearance, on both the heat sink and the 40
pin header, cut so far it actually cuts into the threaded screw holes
that attach it to the pi's, and leaves the leg boss only marginally
attached to the rest of the sink and very easily bent.  And I still had
to grind about 1.5mm off each end of the connector body to get it to fit
between the sinks legs.  So while its purty, and does an excellent job
of cooling, I can't recommend it unless you do have access to a milling
machine to correct it. Use the smaller stick on sinks and an adequate
fan.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis