Snort IDS

Hello,

I have some problems with snort on debian that are already been reported but the current maintainer seems not active. For what I found online it seems that snort is the most used IDS, so I find it quite odd that it's not maintained in Debian. Is this still true? Do you guys use it? Or it's better to move to other software? Can somebody please point me to an external source that has an up to date snort debian package? I've found a lot of documentation online but it's either quite old or provides instructions to build it from source.

Thanks in advance