Re: confused, seems to be my normal state

On Tuesday 17 September 2019 14:04:30 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I once wrote the "debian-10.0.0-arm64-netinst.iso" to an u-sd card,
> > which booted and did a net-install on an rpi-3b [...]
> > /dev/sde1 /media/sde1 iso9660 ro,relatime 0 0
> > /dev/sde2 /media/sde2 vfat
> > rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,short
> >na me=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
> >
> > first partition is iso9660 ? Don't recall seeing that before.
>
> That's the normal partition table content of a bootable Debian ISO
> for i386, amd_64, armhf, arm64. (i386 and amd64 ISOs suffer from
> partition nesting, but that does not keep PC-BIOS or EFI from booting
> them.)
>
> The statement "iso9660" stems from inspection of the partition
> content, not from the partition table where type is 0x83 = "Linux" in
> the armhf and arm64 ISOs.
>
> The second partition is of type 0xEF and contains a FAT filesystem
> with EFI boot equipment.
> As stated already in another thread: The combination of Raspberry and
> EFI is exotic.

For debian, trade secrets for raspbiab & armbian. Carefull inspection of
the armbian site dies not include r-pi's.

> I get the impression that uboot is a usual firmware and bootloader,
> but that there are also mechanisms which rather remind me of the ROM
> of my VIC-20. See e.g.

I've been told that the offset locations of the files are fixed by the
bootcode, but I've not been successful at getting that data
regurgitated.

> https://www.beyondlogic.org/compiling-u-boot-with-device-tree-support-
>for-the-raspberry-pi/
>
> So, unless your rpi-3b has an EFI-compatible first booting step in its
> firmware, i assume that debian-10.0.0-arm64-netinst.iso never booted
> on it.

It has not ever used EFI to boot that I am aware of.

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

From the responses I am getting, it looks like my rpi-4 is a shelf
decorator until bullseye or maybe later. So I will concentrate on
getting the best I can out of an rpi-3b, and probably raspbian.

Thank you thomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis