Re: Stretch to Buster with sysvinit

On 2019-09-16, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

>> The dist-upgrade will have resulted in installing the systemd-sysv
>> package, which (despite its name) has nothing to do with sysvinit; it is
>> the package which sets systemd as the primary / active / default init
>> system.
>>
>> Installing sysvinit-core will uninstall that package.
>
> What causes systemd-sysv to be installed?

Why he would say "despite its name" eludes this correspondent, because
the package has *everything* to do with sysvinit, providing as it does
the "links needed for systemd to replace sysvinit. Installing
systemd-sysv will overwrite /sbin/init with a link to systemd."

Maybe by "nothing to do with" he means something I've yet to grasp.

I always thought the systemd-sysv package was required only by those
upgrading from the former init system to the new default.

Perhaps I've got this all wrong.

--
"I understand what you’re saying, and your comments are valuable, but I’m
gonna ignore your advice." -- Fantastic Mr. Fox