Re: issues with initramfs after recently updating buster

Le 08/09/2019 à 02:28, ernst doubt a écrit :

Today I saw the following errors on one of the machines (an HP EliteBook
laptop) that I upgraded today:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-5-amd64
cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries
     nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the
     'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup
initramfs
     integration and avoid this warning.
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin for module
i915
(...)

These are warnings, not errors.

So I have two questions. On the HP laptop I do use cryptsetup (because it's
older and I originally ran stretch on that machine -- only my homedir is
encrypted (not the entire LV as is the Dell laptop, which is newer and got a
virgin buster install recently). Is there anything I need to do in order to
make sure that I don't lose support for cryptsetup with a new kernel on the HP
laptop?

No. You need to worry about this warning only if /, /usr (if in a separate filesystem) or the swap used for hibernation is encrypted because these must be opened by the initramfs. Any other encrypted device will be opened later by the main init system.

You can uninstall cryptsetup-initramfs (do not worry if it uninstalls cryptsetup too, this is a dummy package) to remove the warning.

My 2nd question is about the missing firmware. How do I get modules i915 and
amdgpu so that my initramfs will be fully functional on these laptops (i'm fine
with installing nonfree packages).

For i915 : install firmware-misc-nonfree.
For amdgpu/radeon : install firmware-amd-graphics.
Or install firwmware-linux-nonfree which will pull both.
All are in the non-free section which must be enabled in sources.list.

On one laptop (the HP), when I try to run 'apt-get upgrade' again, the
following message appears:

   linux-headers-amd64 linux-image-amd64

On the other laptop (the Dell), 'apt-get upgrade' produces output that
indicates that only linux-image-amd64 has been kept back.

These are meta-packages which depend on the latest available kernel packages version. Upgrading them requires installing new kernel packages. But apt-get won't install new packages by default. You can upgrade them using "apt-get dist-upgrade" or apt-get --with-new-pkgs update" or "apt upgrade" (instead of apt-get). Or just install the packages as if they were not installed.