Re: nano copy/paste dead

On Mon 02 Sep 2019 at 03:10:08 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> Gene Heskett composed on 2019-09-02 02:55 (UTC-0400):
>
> > That half a screen height jump is a huge distraction.
>
> It would if it happened here, but what half a screen jump? An up or down arrow is
> three lines here, would be one, like it used to be, if I could find a way to undo
> the intentional regression.

*Three* lines? Where did that come from? I can only get nano to jump
three lines by moving past a very long line that happens to be wrapped
into three lines (I have set softwrap).

I'm with Gene here. In the absence of any .nanorc or .nano/*, nano has
always moved the cursor one line up or down with each ↑ or ↓ keystroke.
When it moves over the top or bottom of the screen/window, there's
effectively a screen repaint placing the cursor on the middle line,
so the viewport of the file has moved by half a screenful.

I just tested it on an X window using the "unreadable" font, and the >1600
line viewport shifted over 800 lines when I pressed ↓ on the bottom line.

emacs has the same behaviour but, for me, that's acceptable,
particularly since whenever it was that ^L was improved (perhaps a
couple of releases ago), ie ^L first repaints the screen with the
cursor in the middle. Subsequent ^L keystrokes place the cursor
(staying on that line) at the top, bottom, middle, …, of the window
in rotation, a neat trick.

By default, mc¹ is like nano, jumping in half-screens as you step
down the panels with ↓. That I can't abide, and I think
panel_scroll_pages=false
is the mc/ini line that suppresses it (it's been a long time since
I had to change my ini, unlike ext which evolves steadily).
It still bugs me that when you press Return on a directory (which
enters it) and then back out, the position of the directory in the
panel has moved towards the middle. Moving the panel interrupts
making visual comparisons of the two side by side panels.

¹ I don't use mc's internal editor, or even F4 for editing. I bind
that key to "a different sort of F3/view", where different might
mean an alternative player, viewer, mode, etc.

Cheers,
David.