"partition name" versus "filesystem label" -- authoritative references?

I've just encountered GPT, and thus "partition name", for the first time.
My web search turned primarily threads titled of form "just encountered GPT ..." ;{
Similarly the articles I found were too focused on "What is a partition?"

I'm looking for authoritative articles whose purpose is to examine their purposes, similarities/differences, when each should/shouldn't be used.

I think I have a basic idea. I know just enough to be dangerous ;O}
TIA