Re: udev being an ass

On Thursday 29 August 2019 08:45:47 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 08:19:29PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Thats a miss-statement. I do want persistent interface names EVEN if
> > I move this boot drive to a whole new box.
> >
> > This machine does in fact have 2 nic's.  And I have indeed used both
> > at the same time but haven't mastered "consistently".
>
> I cannot for the life of me figure out what you want.  If you can ever
> figure out how to state your desires clearly, we'll try to help you.
>
> Until then, um, good luck with whatever this is.  I mean this
> literally, because apparently your network configuration relies on
> random chance to succeed.

Nothing random about it Greg.

Its all hosts file based, no dhcp involved this side of the router. If
the desired fqdn is not in the /etc/hosts file, which is identical on
all machines (so is the /etc/resolv.conf file, which assigns the router
as the nameserver and commands it to search hosts nameserver) then the
dns query gets sent to the router, which is running dnsmasq.  If dnsmasq
doesn't have it cached, it consults the dns server given to it by my
isp. In any event pings to an unknown name are usually resolved and
returned in less than 90 milliseconds. Fixed ip, needed to make my web
page work without paying a monthly fee for dynamic updates, is done at
the router by cloning the mac of the router so that I can swap routers
if I have to. My isp hand's out net ipv4 addresses according to the
routers MAC.  That hasn't changed in at least half a decade. There is
not any ipv6 that I know of beyond the cable/phone modem.

And it all Just Works, with no dhcpd drama anyplace but the router to isp
modem connection.  Since its a cable modem the connection is full time
live barring power failure long enough to kill the cable systems backup
batteries, typically nearly 24 hours. My telephone also works during
this time. I have a wife in the later stages of COPD, so there is (and
its a common sight locally, 5 that I've noticed in this little
cul-de-sac) a 20 kw nat gas fed generator on a pad behind the garage, so
I have 100% lights and AC and more importantly oxygen generation for the
wife typically 5 seconds after the substation faults.

Whats not to like? The router does the NAT from 192.168.xx.yy, so all
machines have full access to the net, but with the exception of my web
page running on a port forward, nothing here is visible from the  net
itself.

dd-wrt, flashed into the routers, has very sharp teeth. So I've not been
bothered by attacks from the network. Ever. I rather like it that
way. :-)

But you all claim I'm doing it bass ackward. I don't agree, and I don't
fight with poisoned routes either.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis