Re: xorriso as a backup &/or archival tool

On 08/29/2019 06:07 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
I will be focused on what I refer to as "archiving for posterity".
and somewhere before that:
before wiping the drive

Well, then you should strive for several byte-by-byte identical copies
on cheap media. This would be BD-R in my case. But magnetic disks are
cheaper per GB. They just bundle more risk in one casing and their
regular operation imposes more risk on existing data.

Just brought home a brand Seagate 8TB drive yesterday. I also have two 1TB drives I purchased less than 2 years ago. I see ISO files as solution to some "mechanical" problems in how to segregate data from a variety of machines and partitions thereof. That incremental backups can be done to ISO files is a bonus.

In a way I already have DVD backups of the majority of my "lab bench" machines. Due do a low data I do not do netinst but purchase complete DVD sets. Thus I need only to backup appropriate preseed.cfg files.

The byte-by-byte identical copies would be made from the verified
backup images or media. 3 at least.

No problem.

I guess both types should be stored in a dark, dry, and moderately warm
place. I use CD since 1998, DVD since 2004, BD since 2008. None of them
regularly fails on me when it comes to reading old content.
deloptes and others have different experiences. (My bet is on dying
drives rather than dying media ...)

In any case, you should not use old, possibly worn-off storage devices
for storing original data. Get some dedicated new stuff.

As I said above "Done Deal" ;/

USB stick for permanent storage seems inappropriate, too.

You are preaching to the choir.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas