Re: xorriso as a backup &/or archival tool

On 08/28/2019 04:22 PM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 07:50:27 AM Richard Owlett wrote:
Recently I was suggested I read
    https://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/
and
    http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/main_eng.html
which led to exploring "afio archives" and "zisofs compression".

I have a half dozen machines with primary drives up to ~700GB.
They have up to 20 labeled partitions (I AVOID UUIDs when possible).
I have a collection of USB devices with capacities from 8GB to 1TB.
I will be obtaining a 10TB drive for this project.

I've just received Debian 10 on a single 128GB Flash Drive.
There is no longer an excuse to not bring all machines up to date.

I'm thinking of creating multiple partitions with human readable
partition labels such as "Machine_1" ... "Machine_N" and "Project_alpha"
... "Project_omega".
Each partition will then have files named partitionlable_a.iso ...
partitionlable_z.iso.

Any suggested reading on pros, cons, howtos?

YWIA (You're welcome in advance ;-)

No suggested readings, but one comment.  I do too many thinks from the
commandline and having to type drive, directory, and file names.  I'd think
seriously about (easy to understand) abbreviations.  E.g., my systems are
named like s19, s31 (initially I used System_01, then sys12 (as systems were
replaced) and now just snn.

I think we are on similar paths. Give me a month or two ;}