Re: udev being an ass

On Wednesday 28 August 2019 12:53:15 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:26:05PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > So: delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules AND edit /e/n/i
> > to put it back on eth0 where it belongs and it should work.
>
> Only on machines that have precisely ONE (1) network interface.  On
> any machine with more than one, you will have a disaster.
>
> > But I want that file deleted at every bootup before any attempt to
> > use it is made.
>
> How about deleting it during shutdown, instead of during boot?
>
> > So I'm going to go out and see if that can be made to work by
> > deleting that file as the first line of if-up...
>
> It's much too late at that point ... unless your intent was actually
> to delete it for the NEXT boot, similar to my suggestion above, in
> which you delete it during system shutdown.  In that case, it might
> kinda sorta not fail, by accident.  It's certainly not *obvious* that
> you're deleting it for the next boot at that point, so the intent of
> your changes would be completely opaque to future-you.  I do not
> advise it.
>
> A slightly less horrible alternative might be to delete all the
> non-comment lines from the file, add a comment that says "this file
> is intentionally empty because I made it so", then chattr +i the
> file.  That should prevent udev from registering interfaces in it for
> future boots.  It also has the advantage (over "delete during
> shutdown") that it'll still achieve your goal even if the system isn't
> shut down normally (e.g. power loss, or major kernel crash).
>
> Or, hell, for all I know, there may be some configuration knob in udev
> that says "never register my interface names in a file", and you can
> just find and turn that knob.

Instant reaction, Greg: Paranoia reigns supreme, so they would never,
ever, in a million years, give the user such a knob.

I've resorted to the chattr on more than one occasion.  Works well if you
can get it all done before before the timer runs the N-M script again.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis