Re: xorriso as a backup &/or archival tool

On 08/28/2019 08:48 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Richard Owlett wrote:
Recently I was suggested I read
   https://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/
and
   http://scdbackup.sourceforge.net/main_eng.html
which led to exploring "afio archives" and "zisofs compression".

afio is a sequential archiver. I used it in scdbackup mainly because of
its gzip-per-file compression feature and its higher attribute fidelity
in comparison to mkisofs (which is "not a backup tool" according to its
programmer).
The sequential aspect means that retrieval of files would have to sift
through all data before the file data until it is finally found.

For current purpose -- no problem.
What I wish to do immediately is archive for posterity the contents of my hard drives before wiping the drive and starting fresh.

A visual image would be a filing cabinet with a drawer for each machine.
Each drawer would have a single folder corresponding to a single partition.

xorriso with zisofs compression and extended attribute support would be
clearly to prefer, because the backup can be mounted by the Linux kernel
and zisofs will be decompressed by the kernel when files get read.

Understood

Of course there are lots of other backup systems standing ready to keep
copies of your work disks on other disks or USB sticks.
The answers to the questions below will encourage or discourage their
use, depending on their concepts and properties.

scdbackup will probably not be of much help, as its specialty is to
copy disk sized backups onto a pile of optical media of equal size each.

That was clear. The documentation caused me to recognize questions I needed to think about.

I'm thinking of creating multiple partitions with human readable partition
labels such as "Machine_1" ... "Machine_N" and "Project_alpha" ...
"Project_omega".
Each partition will then have files named partitionlable_a.iso ...
partitionlable_z.iso.

Yes. Independently of the backup tool you need a backup plan.
- What goes where ?

Today I'm only concerned with "archive for posterity" issues. Thus specifying one *.iso for each partition. Backups in sense of needing a sequence of backups when typing/revising chapters of _Magnus Opus_ is for future consideration.

- Where to look for a particular file which needs to be restored from backup ?

That's the motivation for the naming scheme I described.

- How to verify the completeness of the backup after its creation
   and how to verify its valid readability after creation, during storage,
   and at restore time ?

Those are tool dependent and reasonably well understood.

If you plan to work with a cigar box full of USB sticks then you will
need some rugged and well readable labeling system for your eyes,
or a brush like contraption of USB hubs to have them all online.

I currently have a collection of < 30 Flash drives.
For the current task {archive for posterity}, everything will go onto a single partition of my new multi-TB drive. Each flash drive to be archive will have its own folder with as many *.iso files as needed.
[I avoid UUIDs like the plague ;]

Any suggested reading on pros, cons, howtos?

If it shall be done by xorriso, i'd plan for incremental backups from
original file trees which are about half as big as the backup media or
the planned room for the backup data files.
Depending on how many changes happen on the original, this will offer room
for a few dozen or several hundred daily updates. All read-only on filesystem
level and each day mountable with its complete file tree.

Which was why I asked for reading assignment. My real world needs are yet to be defined.

See man xorriso example "Incremental backup of a few directory trees" and
replace
   -dev /dev/sr0
by something like
   -dev stdio:/dev/sdh
   -dev /mnt/usb_stick/home_backups/2019_07_12.iso

Thanks

About other backup systems i am probably not the right one to ask.

I have already decided my archive shall be as ISO files.
From what you've said my backups will likely also be as ISO files.

I derived my own strategies from times when a backup consisted of a pile
of QIC tapes with throughput counted in megabytes per minute.
I went my own ways since i switched to CD in 1998.

You youngster. I flipped switches on panel of a PDP11/45 to tell it how to read paper tape on a 20 mA loop connected KSR35 so it could RSX11M via the "high speed"(sic) paper tape reader.
[also memories of 026 as input device for CPU with many 12AX7s and 5U4GBs ;]

Thank you.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas