Re: udev being an ass

On Tue 27 Aug 2019 at 17:22:27 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 August 2019 16:01:30 Brian wrote:
>
> > On Tue 27 Aug 2019 at 14:27:02 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > I've just swapped machines because that failed one got nailed by a
> > > lightning surge while I was in the shop with a heart attack.  3
> > > different psu's didn't restore the green led in a decade old dell,
> > > so I swapped the whole box except for the HD.
> > >
> > > But udevs UN-persistent rules have apparently run out of eth0 names,
> > > renaming the only ethernet port it has to eth2.  So I either rename
> > > it to eth2 in /e/n/i, or kill the rule that advances the name.
> > > Since those old dells only come with one port, I'd much druther have
> > > a fixed name.
> > >
> > > What, in wheezy, /lib/udev/rules.d rule do I nuke so eth0 remains
> > > eth0 regardless of which box I put that drive in?
> >
> > The subject header is completely uninformative. The subject body is
> > unformative but unintellible.
>
> Oh, I'd argue the point. udev has been accused of being uptight and
> cantankerous many times before. Surely I am not the first to call it an
> ass.
>
> Supposedly invented to make things more stable, but here it has never
> been in a same building with the word stable.

I would urge all users, particularly new ones, to take little notice
of this opinion. The OP has a track record of lacing his posts with
criticism of core components of the Debian system. Generally without
evidence and, nearly always, obscuring the point he wants to make.

> OTOH, Brian, since I actually do use computers to do useful work,
> something that seems well beyond your ability to comprehend why I should
> want them to do real work, I will continue asking them to Just Do It.
> Sharpening fingers pointed in my direction will generally be ignored,
> once I have ascertained the source.
>
> > (P.S.
> > Could we have posts without medical details. They make me feel quesy).
>
> Life, fully lived, can and will have its queasy moments.  Perhaps you are
> overdue of an annual physical?

I leave my family and personal matters behind when I post here. I
do not expect to encounter those from others. Taking a hint is not
your strong point, is it?

--
Brian.