Re: Xfce 4.12 to 4.14: high Xorg CPU usage

On 28/08/2019 01:01, Stefan Pietsch wrote:
I upgraded Xfce to 4.14 recently (Debian unstable) and noticed slightly
delayed rendering of UI elements.
Firefox and Thunderbird behave sluggishly and CPU usage by Xorg is
significantly higher as compared to Xfce 4.12.
Did anyone who is using Xfce 4.14 observe similar effects?

Does top/htop show any process burning CPU?

I mask the colord service because I do not need it, and after upgrading from Xfce 4.12 to Xfce 4.14, my session acquired an xiccd process that sat burning 100% of one CPU (unhappy about not being able to contact colord?). I disabled it from my Xfce session in Settings / Session and Startup / Application Autostart, logged in and out, and the problem went away. I do not save my sessions.

Other than needing to use ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini to force all Xfce GTK 3 elements to use the correct font size (the setting is ignored for some elements), everything else works for me as well as in 4.12 and performance is satisfactory.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director