Re: mplayer won't play m4a

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 09:36:51 AM Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi all...
> >
> >>From mplayer.user mailing list I got no answer...
> >>
> > $ playfile fantasia_a_due-prova_13_agosto.m4a
> > MPlayer 1.3.0 (Debian), built with gcc-8 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team

> ...On another PC of mine, with Stretch, the same file is correctly
> played...

So, I'm guessing (1) that the machine that doesn't play the file is not using
Stretch, and (2) therefore it is likely that the machine that doesn't play the
file is using a different / earlier version of mplayer>

What is the size of file fantasia_a_due-prova_13_agosto.m4a?  (Do an ls -al on
it and show the result.)

I am not an expert on this, but, from what I remember (or think I remember)
from other posts in this thread is that an m4a file does not actually contain
audio information, but is, more or less, a list of files that do contain the
audio info.

I suspect the earlier version of mplayer cannot handle an m4a file.

What I might do as a workaround, is to try to find the names of the files
contained in the m4a file (maybe by "dissecting" the file on Linux (try =strings
fantasia_a_due-prova_13_agosto.m4a=> or by reading the file names from the PC
which plays the file.

And then try playing those files.

If that works, add them to a "native" mplayer playlist.