Re: Bash isn't reading ~/.profile file when login from GNOME

On Jo, 22 aug 19, 17:15:17, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 12:01:09AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Ma, 20 aug 19, 16:39:50, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > >
> > > And now people will think that running login shells in every terminal
> > > session is the RIGHT way.
> >
> > Please do feel free to educate me on when/why it's wrong to run login
> > shells instead of a plain interactive shell (or just point me to the
> > relevant docs).
>
> https://mywiki.wooledge.org/DotFiles gives some reasons.  Of course it
> was written before systemd, and therefore doesn't cover all of the
> recent contortions, revelations, intrigues, scandals and madness.  (And
> it's a wiki, so some parts of the page aren't mine -- draw your own
> conclusions about each piece of the content.)

Thank you.

In my understanding there is no inherent harm in always starting a login
shell, you are only loosing the option to separate stuff that you want
to run always (.bashrc) or just at login (.profile[1])

Performance is also typically not a concern unless you run some heavy
and/or network stuff in your .profile.

[1] in Debian's default configuration, which also takes care to source
.bashrc if the login shell is bash.

Kind regards,
Andrei