Re: Compiling Linux with "bdver2" gcc optimization option

Franco Martelli, on 2019-08-19:
> I was thinking to submit a bug report against gcc-8 package. Now that I
> have a work around, "bdver1" compiles without warnings, I can say
> enough, what do you think about?

I don't know, to me it sounds more like little bugs on kernel
side, patches silencing warnings from Gcc, one way or another,
happen quite often on that side.  See Linux 5.2.9 changelog,
there are a few ones there:

	https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/ChangeLog-5.2.9

Since there is no official support for x86 architecture specific
build targets (other than the ones listed in Kconfig), chances
are the bug report would end up in "wontfix" state.  But you can
always give it a try; perhaps an actual break is lurking there,
waiting to happen in production.

Gcc-8 on its side is just trying its best to help one to develop
better code.  Its heuristics may not apply very well on kernel
object code however.  If you can reproduce this issue and
identify it as a false positive with a sample code, that is
another story of course.

Cheers,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
              5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d