Re: webmail and email from command line

 On Mon 19/Aug/2019 03:15:45 +0200 Celejar wrote:
> I think terming Google's decision to call software that doesn't
> implement OAuth "less secure" "evil" is hyperbole that doesn't help our
> broader cause of opposing its breaking of standards, imposing various
> sorts of lock-in, invasions of privacy, etc.

Breaking of standards?  Not sure about the web, but for email
protocols Google counts many active participants and gmail is often
among the early adopters (e.g. ARC).

On the other hand, I am perplexed when I see epic personalities of
IETF standard making, like Brian Carpenter, Dave Crocket, and many
other, preferably use gmail addresses.  Most of them used to prefer
sending from their own mail servers.  Obviously, they find gmail more
convenient...  Of course, protocols will be useless when there will be
just one or two providers.

Even John Klensin, the author of ESMTP, although he uses his own
domain for sending mail through Exim, uses outlook.com for incoming
MX.  Presumably, that's more convenient than maintaining efficient
anti-virus and anti-spam.  Notably, as an SMTP purist, John deploys
neither SPF nor DKIM.

At this point I realize this message is not so off-topic as I had
figured when I hit the reply button.  So, let me mention I'm also
still running my own server.  I use Courier-MTA, which integrates SMTP
and IMAP with maildrop (delivery agent and mail filter) and a plethora
of utilities.  Of course, I recommend it.

jm2c
Ale