Re: Why do UID values of system users matter?

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply.

I see, multiboot with different /etc but shared /usr or /local could invite a lot of trouble if using different UIDs, indeed! Thanks for the quick explanation.

> (Apparently man used uid 13 in Debian 8 / Jessi but 6 in Debian 9 /
> Stretch).

AFAICS, user "man" has had UID 6 since at least Debian 6/squeeze

 Ohh, this is interesting, so I wonder why I had a different value then, maybe something else was wrong with my system then...

Steffen