Re: TWAIN in Debian 10.

peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I'm interested in moving an image from a JVC Digital Camera KY-F70 to
> Debian 10.  The camera is pre-USB; it has a 50 pin SCSII connector.
> Probably what the Wikipedia SCSII connector article mentions as
> HPCN50. The JVC manual mentions TWAIN software for image transfer and
> claims their software works in Windows 95/98/NT 4.0.
>
> Has anyone used TWAIN in Debian? Is there any chance of Debian
> receiving images using TWAIN directly?  Try to make the Windows TWAIN
> software provided by JVC work under wine? If wine is necessary, can
> anyone recommend a Windows version from the three noted above?
>
> Other ideas?

The problem with TWAIN, as I recall, is that it wasn't actually
a standard API between devices and OS so much as a standard way
for an application to call a manufacturer-supplied application
in order to control and receive images.

That's why it was completely supplanted by SANE, which more or
less standardizes the device-OS interface as well as the
application-application interface.

You might manage to get the Windows TWAIN software to run in
WINE, or if you have a Windows 95/98 virtual machine, that would
probably work.

I would note, though, that this camera appears to have terrible
specifications by current standards:

1360x1024 at 7.5 frames/sec

640x200 at 30 frames/sec

and the SCSI connection is designated for connection to a
storage drive or printer.

If you are specifically looking for a microscope mountable
camera, there are lots of relatively cheap C-mount cameras
and C-mount adapters, all with much better specs and much
easier to access.

-dsr-

-dsr-