Re: dbus-deamon avoiding reboot after upgrade

On Fri 16 Aug 2019 at 08:39:43 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 09:53:20AM +0300, Reco wrote:

> > > Jumping to conclusions is the ideal way of neglecting facts and promoting
> > > fallacious assertions. I have given two examples that challenge
> > >
> > >   dbus "...is redundant for typical server software"
> >
> > The first one being "apt cache rdepends"? You can do better than this.
> >
> > The second one being CUPS? dbus is not required for printing itself.
>
> Also, most servers don't deal with ink-and-paper printing.  At all.

I don't quite follow that, but is it of great importance? Some do, and
then dbus will be involved in advertising print queues to clients.

> Brian asked how people would conclude things about D-Bus, and Tixy gave
> a completely legitimate answer.  It was an answer I had been considering
> writing myself, but I was lazy.
>
> The name is *literally* an abbreviation for Desktop Bus, and you (Brian)
> claim you don't understand why people think it's only for desktop systems?
> Come on.

I own up to reading solely the primary source at freedesktop. I can find
no reference there to dbus being required only when (to quote John Doe)

 > a DE (Gnome,Mate, ...) is present.

Whatever the genesis of the application's name and function, it has
evidently moved on in the last 10+ years. firewalld (which looks like a
good candidate for use on a server) also depends on dbus.

--
Brian.