Re: Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

	Received from ernst on Wed, 14 Aug 2019 09:10:55 -0400 Re: Dell
	Inspiron 17 3000 Series 3785 problem with X

	> On Wed, 2019-08-14 at 14:20 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 08:11:34AM -0400, ernst doubt wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > i had sent a message to debian-laptop a few hours back, but all
> > > i've
> > > seen so far is one response (suggesting i use q4os). i'm pretty
> > > committed to using debian directly though (at least until i've
> > > tried an
> > > awful lot more things).
> > >
> > > After installing buster, this brand new laptop of mine seems to
> > > hang on
> > > X (GDM) starting -- after briefly showing a flashing underscore
> > > char in
> > > the top left corner of the screen, it drops back to command-line
> > > output
> > > (but doesn't allow me to login).
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > It seems that your X server is giving up for some reason.
> >
> > Not a graphics expert here, but you may get some hints by inpecting
> > the X log file (called typically Xorg.0.log -- it usually lives in
> > /var/log or perhaps in your home directory. Towards the end, you
> > might find some lines tagged with (EE) -- those are errors.
> >
> > The content of that file might be of help to folks around here to
> > diagnose your problem.
> >
> > Cheers
> > -- tomás
>

> Thanks for all the help folks. i managed to solve it on my own. Pretty
> sure it was the linux-firmware-nonfree package that did it.
>
>     best,
>         ~e

I stayed away from AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U Mobile Processor with Radeon
after what I read about it, but did get a laptop with AMD graphics.
Probably will never do that again,

Installed Buster as legacy when it would not install EFI.

Required all these to to have it stop locking up:

firmware-linux
firmware-linux-nonfree
libdrm-amdgpu1
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
llvm

Found them in various discussions and information on the web.

Maybe that will help someone else.

Charlie

	East Gippsland Wildlife Rehabilitators Inc..
                     http://www.egwildlife.com.au/

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	From error to error one discovers the entire truth. ---Sigmund