buster: DNS server?

1. I have a server that does all I need it to do under stretch.

2. On that machine, I have installed a clean version of buster on a separate
bootable drive.

3. Under buster on that machine, I have installed (by copy from stretch) an
iptables configuration that seems to be behaving as I expect. In particular,
it allows me to reach the Internet from machines on the LAN side of the server.

4. Under buster, I have installed isc-dhcp-server and copied a working
/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf from stretch. It seems to be behaving correctly. In
particular, it seems to be responding correctly to machines on the LAN side of
the server.

5. If I ping by name a machine on the Internet from the server (e.g.,
google.com), the ping succeeds.

5. If I now go to another machine on the LAN and ping a machine on the
Internet by address (e.g., 172.217.11.238), the ping succeeds.

6. But if (still on another machine on the LAN) I ping a machine on the
Internet by name, (e.g., google.com) the request times out and I receive the
message: "ping: google.com: Name or service not known".

7. On the machine on the LAN, if I look at the configuration for the port on
the LAN machine (using nmcli), I see:
  IP4.DNS[1]:                             192.168.0.1
which is correct (the server's IP address being 192.168.0.1).

So this seems to be saying that:
  1) the basic packet forwarding through the server is working
  2) DNS on the server itself is working
  3) DNS requests received from the LAN by the server are not being resolved

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to diagnose and fix the problem.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans