Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

On 8/13/19 10:18 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:

On 8/13/2019 5:29 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:

On 8/13/2019 1:16 PM, Michael Howard wrote:
On 13/08/2019 18:40, Keith Steensma wrote:

On 8/13/2019 11:35 AM, Michael Howard wrote:
On 13/08/2019 16:31, Joe wrote:
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:28:04 +0200
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 08:23:35AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:

On 8/12/2019 4:00 PM, elvis wrote:
On 12/8/19 11:23 pm, Keith Steensma wrote:
The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even
though a 'root' login is not permitted in the default
'sshd_config' configuration.  Even when I change the
configuration to allow for 'root' login, 'root' can never login.

Try a local ssh login to see if it rules out network problems. As
in ssh localhost.  or ssh -l <user> localhost. If it is your
network getting in the way it may
rule that out.
Yes that works ( ssh -l <user> localhost ). So that means it has to
do with the network connections.
Not necessarily. It can be the client, too (your PuTTY). You didn't
describe the error message in detail (perhaps it is too unspecific,
GUI clients tend to be like that), but perhaps PuTTY has some
"verbose" option you can activate. Then you may infer whether there's
a hole in the net or whether just client and server don't get along
with each other.

It is some years since I used PuTTY regularly, but I seem to recall
that it didn't use OpenSSH-type keys and insisted on generating its own
and providing a conversion to an OpenSSH key, which then had to be
placed on the server. Is it possible this procedure may have gone amiss

This has happened to me a couple of times. Regenerating and converting solved the problem.

A long time ago I settled on having to use puttygen.exe to generate the keys. You have to copy/paste from the puttygen window to create the authorized_keys file.

A nuisance but it works reliably.

Bruce