Re: GRUB command line

	Received from Pascal on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 23:41:59 +0200 Re:
	GRUB command line

	> Le 11/08/2019 à 22:54, Russell L. Harris a écrit :
> >> What do you mean by "installation of Debian 10 with GRUB Command
> >> 	line" ?
>
> The OP sent me a private mail with a screen shot showing the Debian
> 	UEFI installer boot menu with the text "C: GRUB Command line"
> 	highlighted.
>
> GRUB command line is GRUB shell, not a POSIX Linux shell such as ash
> 	or bash. You cannot use it to do a full step by step
> 	installation of Debian in debootstrap style, only the first
> 	step (boot the installer kernel and initramfs). All you can
> 	do is start the installation like you would do with a menu
> 	entry. But I do not see the point of using GRUB shell to
> 	start an installation instead of using a menu entry. If you
> 	need to change some settings, it is easier to edit a menu
> 	entry with "e".
>
> > Perhaps he means how to boot Debian 10 with the GRUB command line.
> > 	I, too, am interested in this answer, because I just
> > 	installed Debian 10 on a UEFI system and "grub dummy"
> > 	failed,
>
> Was there a more detailed error message than "grub dummy failed" in
> 	the installer console or in the log console (tty4) ?
>
> > so now I need to learn how
> > to boot the system, starting with the GRUB prompt.
>
> Are you talking about the GRUB prompt of the installer or the GRUB
> prompt of the installed system ?

I tried this on the installed system, which gave me a grub > prompt,
with Buster, but didn't know where to go from there either.

Grub would not install on the hard drive, so didn't know where to get
it to install at the grub > prompt.

It didn't matter for me, because I changed a few things in the BIOS and
then installed again.

Charlie

	East Gippsland Wildlife Rehabilitators Inc..
                     http://www.egwildlife.com.au/

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Force without wisdom falls of its own weight............Horace

	Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.