Re: Error with logrotate.

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 August 2019 05:41:52 Dan Purgert wrote:
>
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>> > On Tuesday 13 August 2019 02:24:34 deloptes wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Then tell me how fetchmail, procmail, clamav or spamd running as me,
>> > can keep their logs in /var/log, the permissions just aren't there
>> > after a reboot.
>>
>> Aren't all four of those system services; with their own system users,
>> with their own directories in /var/log (or well, at least by default)?
>>
> No, while they may be callable by anyone, they all become the user
> calling them.

Ah, spamd & clamav are their own users here; and I don't use the other
two (so assumed wrongly). Thanks for clarifying.

>> [...]
>> Assuming a Debian-standard /etc/logrotate.conf; it should give one the
>> necessary examples to set up a functioning schedule for things in
>> their $HOME (or other places).
>
> O0kkaayy, splain this:
> my entry for these logs in /etc/logrotate.d:
>
> /home/gene/log/fetchmail.log
> /home/gene/log/procmail.log
> /home/gene/log/mail.log
> {
>         su gene mail
>         rotate 4
>         maxsize 5000000
>         weekly
>         missingok
>         notifempty
>         copytruncate
>         compress
>         delaycompress
>         postrotate
>                 kill -HUP fetchmail
>                 kill -HUP procmail
>                 kill -HUP spamd
>         endscript
> }
>
> and an ls -l of ~/log
>
> gene@coyote:/etc/logrotate.d$ ls -l  ~/log
> total 68804
> -rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene  5413354 Aug 13 09:36 fetchmail.log
> -rw------- 1 gene mail        0 Aug 12 00:08 fetchmail.log.1
> -rw------- 1 gene mail       20 Aug  4 00:10 fetchmail.log.2.gz
> -rw------- 1 gene mail       20 Jul 28 00:09 fetchmail.log.3.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene   636567 Aug 13 09:36 mail.log
> -rw------- 1 gene mail        0 Aug 12 00:08 mail.log.1
> -rw------- 1 gene mail       20 Aug  4 00:10 mail.log.2.gz
> -rw------- 1 gene mail       20 Jul 28 00:09 mail.log.3.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 64361979 Aug 13 09:36 procmail.log
> -rw------- 1 gene mail        0 Aug 12 00:08 procmail.log.1
> -rw------- 1 gene mail       20 Aug  4 00:10 procmail.log.2.gz
> -rw------- 1 gene mail       20 Jul 28 00:09 procmail.log.3.g
>
> Which does not look like its being properly rotated to me.
> Yet this worked (without the maxsize option I just now added) for all the
> years on wheezy.  And yes, I am a member of group mail

Looks like it's trying to run correctly (June 28 -> Aug 4 being a week;
4th to 12th being 8 days). Although it looks like your options may be
having problems such that the processes aren't moving the logs
properly.

Although, as I recall, multiple lines cause issues (or at least they did
for me); you'll probably be better served with something like this:

  /home/gene/log/*.log
  {
          rotate 4
          maxsize 5000000
          weekly
          missingok
          notifempty
          copytruncate
          compress
          delaycompress
          postrotate
                  /bin/kill -HUP fetchmail
                  /bin/kill -HUP procmail
                  /bin/kill -HUP spamd
          endscript
  }

Note that:

  - I removed the 'su' line; as I don't see it as an option in my
    manpage
  - I used the full path to kill, as I cron doesn't usually have a $PATH
    set

HTH

--
|_|O|_|