Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM Mindaugas Celiesius
<m.celiesius@yandex.ru> wrote:
> > In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the login screen would show my user name as the default.
> Hello. By default, LightDM is configured so that the user should enter login name and password. Login name is considered sensitive information. It is possible to provide the user with selection of available user accounts. The most recently used login name will be selected in the list. The user still has to enter password to login. This provides useful compromise between security and convenience for a single-user desktop system. To enable user list, place the following settings into /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_my.conf:
>
> [Seat:*]
> greeter-hide-users=false

Great, that worked, thanks so much, Mindaugas!

A couple of points:

1. I had to restart the system, a mere logout didn't change anything.

2. The surprise is that it didn't actually show my user name, it
showed my real name. So security is a little better than showing my
user name; in fact, it seems better because, otherwise, folks in my
audience could see me type my user name!

Best regards,

-Tom