Re: installing Debian 10 to 3 hdds as one big system

	Hi.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 05:25:30PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 8/10/19 3:55 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > >
> > > RAID 10 requires 4 drives:
> >
> > Not Linux implemention of RAID 10, which requires at least 2 drives.
>
> Do you have a URL or man page that describes this?

[1] says (emphasis mine):

Raid 10 is a special linux mode which stores multiple copies of the data
across several drives. There must be at least as many drives as there
are copies - if the *two are equal* it is equivalent to raid-1.

Conversion between raid-0 and raid-10 is supported - to convert to any
other raid you will have to go via raid-0 - backup, BACKUP, BACKUP!!!
The code does not appear to support conversion between raid-1 and
raid-10 which should be easy for a *two-device* array.

The big question is - why would anyone make a RAID10 consisting of two
drives. It's impossible to reshape it (mdadm does not support it for
RAID10), it's I/O characteristics are indistinguishable from RAID1.

Reco

https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/A_guide_to_mdadm#Raid_10