Re: August 10, 2019

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 22:53:29 +0000 (UTC)
Randy Demerchant <randydemerchant@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>  I have a dell laptop 1720 and desktop acer ax 1935. I like to know
> can I install and use Debian on eithers of these two system with out
> ant problems Can you let me know thank you Randy

The short answer?  Probably.  How well they run will depend on what
you install.

For comaprison, I built this system 12.5 years ago (Jan 2007).  It's
been upgraded numerous times since.  The newest part is a 4 year
old 500GB SATAII HD.  The oldest, the 12 year old MB, an ASRock AM3.  It
has a Phenom II quad-core 3.0GHz CPU, 8GB DDR2(!) RAM. and a basic
2D, fanless GeForce 8400GS graphics card. It's currently running
Stretch (sysvinit instead of systemd) with the Openbox window manager
GUI (menus and single lxpanel).  It runs Buster (LXDE desktop & systemd)
quite well in Virtualbox 6.0 with 2GB RAM.  So, it should run even
better on the native hardware, but I'm not going to install it.
However, that's another story.

If you want better usability and performance with your old hardware
avoid "heavy" desktops like KDE and GNOME. Stick with light one's
-- LXDE or XFCE . . . OR . . . like I did, only a window manager.

If performance is still not to your liking, try a lighterweight
Debian-based OS like AntiX or something like Vector Linux.  There are
lots of linux distros designed for old hardware out there.

Let us know how it goes.