Re: installing Debian 10 to 3 hdds as one big system

On 8/10/19 4:03 AM, Pavel Vlček wrote:
Hi all,

because I was not registered when I sent this message here at the first time, I am sending it again.

I have computer with 3 hdds. One is ssd, 2 others are hdd. I want to install Debian 10 to all 3 disks as one big system. What to use, raid or lvm? I found an issue with lvm, when I want to create lvm, it shows you can use $minsize and $maxsize, but all disks are 512, Gb. I want to start with the ssd, it is sdc device. I know, how to create the lvm with textual installer, but I have problem expanding it to next two hdds, /dev/sda and sdb, so I am doing something wrong. I want to use all data in one lvm partition, so / for everything.
Can you help please?
Thanks,
Pavel

You are describing JBOD:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBOD

I have done JBOD on LVM.  See lvm(8).

I have done RAID1 on mdadm; I believe mdadm can do JBOD,  See mdadm(8).

If this is a new install, you should be able to achieve either or both via the Debian Installer by selecting manual partitioning.

But, as others have said, two HDD's and one SDD in JBOD (or RAID) is not optimal. Without specifics such as anticipated usage, data storage requirements, drive makes and models, available drive bays, HBA/ motherboard makes, models, and available ports, etc., it is difficult to make recommendations. In general, I put boot, swap, and root on one small SSD and put bulk data on RAID large HDD's.

David