Re: GeForce GT 710 on debian

Jonas Hedman wrote:
> Hi, my monitor (Samsung S22F350FHU 22"") doesn't play nicely
> with my ThinkCentre M92p. I tried to mess with setting, and
> I got it to work somewhat ok-ish but the picture is still a
> little blurry and I got small black vertical lines on
> both sides.

That sounds like a combination of trying to drive it at a
non-native resolution (blurriness) and a bordering-on-bad cable
(small black lines).

I would start with a new cable, and then checking
/var/log/Xorg* to see if the monitoring is giving a proper EDID
resolution block (and that the driver is using it).

> A friend of mine offered to give me a MSI GeForce GT 710 graphics card
> for free. I've always been a little afraid of graphics cards + gnu/linux
> and avoided it like the pest because of all the associated proeblems of
> getting drives to work and all that.
>
> But if I accept my friends kind offer, how hard would it be to get it
> to work properly on buster with my setup? I did some lazy duckduckgoing
> but it seems like the answers were of varying quality and "hardness".
>
> What do I need to do to make if work (if's possible at all)? I would
> prefer to use free software but I'm open to using non-free stuff if
> it's a quick fix.

That card is old enough to work reliably with Nouveau, so most
of it will be:

apt install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

making sure you don't have anything conflicting in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf or the configuration subdirectories

and rebooting.

You may need to tell your machine's BIOS to select one card over
the other, and so you may need to switch which card the monitor
is plugged into along the way.

-dsr-