Re: Systemd start that won't stop

Kenneth Parker, on 2019-08-09:
> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019, 11:30 AM Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
> > Hi. New Buster install.
> >
> > While X11 is working just fine, the console is unusable, due to a
> > startup message that never stops:
> >
> > [ ***] A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes (2h 54m 38s / no limit)
> >
> > This goes on until the laptop is shut down.
> >
> > How do I find the errant process? The start-up messages fly by, but I
> > don't see any failures, or any indication of what process it is that
> > won't stop starting.

Good day

You may be able to get a few information out of the following,
maybe see what's on hold:

	$ sudo systemctl list-units

But it is the first time I hear about this specific "start job"
"running for Hold" behaviour.  I'm not sure about what to look
at.  A blind shot at the following might bring some additional
information too:

	$ sudo journalctl -xe

In case you were encountering some hardware issue (but I doubt
so for the moment), perhaps a look at the following could be
welcome:

	$ sudo dmesg

And of course, from Kenneth:
> Are any of your File Systems out of space?

Kind regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
               5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54 2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d