Re: Don't disable recoomends by default

On Tue 06 Aug 2019 at 09:32:11 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 10:50:17PM +0200, Urs Thuermann wrote:
> > Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
> >
> > > Quoting Stephan Seitz (2019-07-12 09:30:38)
>
> [...]
>
> > I have done this for years now, i.e. I have
> >
> >     APT::Install-Recommends "false";
> >
> > in /etc/apt/apt.conf and I haven't had any problems, unexpected
> > behavior or non-functional software packages.
>
> So have I. Happy camper. Of course, you've got to know what you're
> doing -- at least a little.

That makes three of us. We can handle the fallout (if any). But the
last thing we want is to deprive many users of a smooth experience
of Debian.

> Honestly I find the strong reactions to this ("anti-pattern", etc.)
> downright disturbing. I'm in free software generally, and in Debian
> particularly, because they don't try to impose things on their
> users. There's far too much authoritarian software out there as
> it is.
>
> Of course, the more you delve under the hood, the more responsibility
> you take for your system, but "do it like this or else" is to me
> the real anti-pattern.

Most users rarely delve under the hood in regards to Recommends:; it
is a non-issue for them. We have the best of both worlds as it stands
at present.

> And now let me get down from my soapbox and hand it over to someone
> else :-)

We'd rather you stayed there to keep us up to the mark. Anyway, we
like the snazzy shirt you are wearing.

--
Brian.