Re: PROGRESS!! - was {Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?}

On Mon 05 Aug 2019 at 12:43:20 (-0400), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, August 04, 2019 11:16:09 AM Richard Hector wrote:
> > >
> > > Ethernet crossover is pretty much defunct [1].
> > >
> > > These days (> 1998) most Ethernet hardware can sort this out
> > > automatically (called Auto MDI-X [2]). So unless you are using
> > > historical hardware, this is a non-issue. Still, for people
> > > in contact with old hardware, it is a good skill to have :-)
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable#Automatic_crossover
> > > [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Dependent_Interface#Auto_MDI-X
> >
> > And if you are making a crossover, I wouldn't rely on the colours -
> > there's multiple correct options for those. And none of the colours is
> > red :-)
> >
> > And as for cutting and joining - you're going to get a pretty awful
> > cable that way, and unreliable at speed. Better to cut one plug off and
> > put a new one on, but that requires a plug and crimper.
> >
> > But as Tomas says, if either end is remotely recent, it's a non-issue.
>
> I'm pretty sure I know what you're saying, but it would be a little more clear
> (to me) if you said: if *the electronics* at either end is remotely recent,
> it's a non-issue.

I think it's made clear in the tomás quotation, about 18 lines above
Richard's citation of the same. Regardless, the OP is connecting two
machines (requiring firmware) running DEs on stretch, and has an
8-port switch lying around too, so not much chance of needing to
chop up cables (unless in frustration at having to use them at all).
No progress reported yet, though, AFAICT.

Cheers,
David.