Re: where is my disk space

On Sun 04 Aug 2019 at 13:06:07 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 04/08/2019 à 12:43, Long Wind a écrit :
> > i think i find out
> > it's in ~/.local it's Xorg.0.log.old
> > it's more than 3.9G
> > it seems keeping growing
> > clearly i don't need it, i delete it
> > it should solve my problem
>
> What about Xorg.0.log ?
> If these files keep growing up to such a size, then it means that they
> are flooded by repeated messages. Before deleting them, you should
> read their contents and fix the underlying issue or they will fill
> your disk space again and again.

Agreed. It would be odd if Xorg.0.log.old is still growing because
that's the log from the previous session. So I'd assume it's
probably Xorg.0.log that's growing, and Xorg.0.log.old is just
sitting there.

Bear in mind that if you delete a file that is still held open by
some process, you won't reclaim the free space until that process
closes the file. So until that time, du will no longer see its
space as used but df will not see it as available either.

Cheers,
David.