Re: Changing nameservers - WAS "Which resolv.conf file?"

On Wed 31 Jul 2019 at 23:38:34 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 31/07/2019 à 23:30, ghe a écrit :
> > On 7/31/19 2:52 PM, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> >
> > > Without resolvconf, the DHCP client would have completely overwritten
> > > resolv.conf instead of just adding one line. With resolvconf, at least
> > > you can have some control over resolv.conf.
> >
> > OK. vi gives me all the control I need over resolv.conf.
>
> No it doesn't. It does not prevent other programs from overwriting
> your changes the next second.

I think that a lot of people install resolvconf (deliberately or
incidentally) without really understanding what it's for or what
it does. Then, because most people naturally check the contents of
/etc/resolv.conf, they indulge in all sorts of cargo-cult behaviour
to pummel it into submission; the most extreme I've seen being
editing followed by chattr +i.

If they'd only read the README, they'd get some idea of what the
problems are with /etc/resolv.conf, how resolvconf mitigates them,
and what steps they need to perform before and after the package's
installation, which is not a lot if you haven't been wielding the
machete already.

Compounding the problem is the successful reports given here by some
of these hatcheteers which, when you delve into them, turn out to be
either for static systems or ones where people are prepared to edit
/etc/resolv.conf whenever something is changed (like in this case).

Cheers,
David.