Re: Which resolv.conf file?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 05:55:17PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 10:27:01AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > wooledg:~$ dpkg -S resolvconf.1
> > systemd: /usr/share/man/man1/resolvconf.1.gz
>
> tomas@trotzki:~$ dpkg -S resolv.conf
> manpages: /usr/share/man/man5/resolv.conf.5.gz

resolv.conf(5) is the configuration file for the DNS resolver in libc.

resolvconf(8) is a Debian package that intercepts attempts by various
other packages to mangle your /etc/resolv.conf file, and lets you control
how they can or cannot do so.

resolvconf(1) is apparently an alias for resolvctl(1) which is part of
systemd, and has absolutely nothing to do with ANYTHING, other than
getting in the way if a naive person (in this example, me) tries to
run "man resolvconf".