Re: Easiest way to do VGA to Text

Martin McCormick wrote:

> I have 4 older PC's that generally work well running
> debian but Right now, 3 of them need varying degrees of attention
> to their BIOS setups as Dell motherboards and possibly other
> brands will occasionally modify their boot sequences for some
> reason and the only way one can boot from a CDROM is to get in to
> the BIOS setup and yank the boot order back to one where the CD
> drive is ahead of the hard drive or put an unbootable hard drive
> in.  Six or eight months later, one will suddenly discover that
> the boot sequence has fallen back to  the useless one where the
> floppy drive is first, followed by the hard drive followed by the
> CDROM.

I have not heard so far of working OCR free under linux. I would buy
commercial software that can work as screen reader. You can pipe the images
from the linux PC to that software and hear the text.

This is not only the OCR part, but also the reading and what I have seen
under Linux is all BS. There were very good projects 10-15y ago, but I have
not heard of a break through in any of them. For example ViaVoice a STT
program used to run on linux and was dropped when IBM and Phillips stopped
the project cause DARPA stopped the funding. Festival is good as TTS, but
is far away from commercial quality and so on.

Making a good reader program is very complex and sophisticated thing and
there are many unsolved problems to deal with. This means you can not just
OCR the screen and dump it to the reader - you must preprocess it and often
go to semantics, which makes it pretty difficult.

If you have time to waste, keep us posted of your progress. Last time I did
research on the topic was 10+y ago, when I wrote my thesis on dialogue
systems, so please, correct me if I am wrong and if there is a useful
software out there. Honestly I doubt it, cause people massively got dumber
in the past 10y, of course except the readers of this list :)

best regards