Re: Upgrading from Stretch to Buster with docker 3rd party installed

James Allsopp writes:

Hi,
I was going to upgrade to Buster, but I've got docker installed  and am running a container as an ldap server. Consequently I don't want to get rid of it, but the install guide I read suggested removing all 3rd-party repositories before starting.

This is the current situatioin with my sources files
❱ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

[...]

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main  contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main  contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main

❱ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list
deb  https://download.docker.com/linux/debian stretch stable

If anyone has any advice, please let me know,
Thanks

Hello,

I have recently upgraded to Buster as well including a few machines running Docker. In my experience, upgrading works without removing the docker entry. Even if you were to remove the `docker.list`, this would not affect the locally installed Docker package so it would not be uninstalled by the upgrade.

Additionally, you might be interested to read that Debian newly includes a Docker package, cf. https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=docker.io In case you can do with Docker 18.09.1, it is possibly interesting to switch to that package to avoid the third-party repository. In case you want to use it, upgrade the system first and only then switch to the new package.

HTH
Linux-Fan