Re: Magnifying glass character, 🔎.

On Sat 27 Jul 2019 at 21:48:12 (-0700), peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> Does anyone happen to know: is 🔎 a Unicode assigned character
> or a Debian private use character?

Sorry to have ignored the earlier part of your previous post, but I
assumed that it was the threading that you cared about and not this
particular character. I was just trying to save you time and effort.

As others have posted, it's a Unicode character. This reference
http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~richard/utf-8.cgi
is a useful one to bookmark in your browser. Your subject line
is quoting the decimal code point in HTML-speak, but you know all
this as you posted it in said previous post.

> A clever Unicode supplemental character?

Plane 1, the Supplementary Multilingual Plane (SMP)
where it's in the
Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs
block.

> Does it comply to an RFC or standard?

ISO/IEC 10646.

> Is it a good notation for the mailing list?
> I'd tend to look for someting slimpler.

No, particularly in a technical list like this. Most people reading
posts as text emails will lack it in their font, so it will
probably get displayed as a space, or even something double-width
that screws up any intended monospaced layout.

But the main point for you, personally, is that your system for
sending posts appears to be non-conforming and embeds NULs or 0x80
characters in the text. This mightily screws up some mail readers,
so please don't use it.

Cheers,
David.