Re: awstats problem

On Friday 26 July 2019 07:21:46 Peter Wiersig wrote:

> Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> writes:
>
> Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 11:48:46AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> root@coyote:~$ su www-data
> >> This account is currently not available.
> >
> > If you want a shell as a system account, use sudo instead.
> >
> > sudo -s -u www-data
>
> or set the shell using su:
> su -s /bin/bash -u www-data
>
> This behaviour is caused due to the shell in /etc/passwd:
>
> $ getent passwd www-data
> www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/usr/sbin/nologin
>
> Peter
I changed the MailTo to gene so I could maybe see the error message,
which was that the config hadn't a proper domain name so I
edited /etc/awstats/awstats.conf to define the domain name that the
world addresses me by, in the sig below. According to the log, its still
running at 10 minute intervals, but its not emailing me any error
messages now, but also in not  updateing anything in
the /var/www/awstats directory.

And spamd is dumping 20 lines of debug crap to the syslog, causing it to
be rotated out from under a tail on it so I can see whats going on, in
less than a days time. So when something happens that should still be
onscreen via the tail, the onscreen is out of date by 2 or 3 days.

So as a log, thats worthless, and its logging SHOULD be going to
~/log/mail.log, so something has broken that, where to I find that.
procmail is launching that for every incoming email, using this recipe:
SPAMBOX = "/home/gene/Mail/spam/new"
:O
* SPAM=| spamd --stfout -
$SPAMBOX

And I just found the awstats failure message is being sent to www-data.
Put a tail on that puppy.

I'm going to need some headache powders. Now if folks would actually
write a man page.  And to top that off, my coffee is cold...

Thanks all;

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis