Re: A followup on github discussion

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 09:12:48AM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 03:53:50PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > 	So, dear list,
> >
> > this is just a quick followup on discrimination practices employed by
> > GitHub.
> > Today it was brought to my attention that GitHub has restricted access
> > to users who live in countries that have US sanctions applied - [1].
> >
> > Therefore, if somebody is still had any doubts that GitHub does not
> > respect software freedoms - leave any hope. GitHub is unsuitable for
> > hosting free software.
> >
> Well, that's a very nice slant you put on the issue.  As a public
> company in the US, GitHub is expected to respect US law.

And last time I've checked, so is Software In Public Interest.

> Certainly there are instances where civil disobedience is called for,
> but violating export regulations is perhaps not the best choice.

And the same logic can be applied to SPI and therefore Debian Project.
Or, maybe not?

> Also, the article which you linked explicitly states that they are
> working with regulators to help them understand that GitHub providing
> services in sanctioned markets actually *supports* the US government's
> foreign policy objectives of free flow of information and free speech.

And it also mentions, quoting:

Users are responsible for ensuring that the content they develop and
share on GitHub.com complies with the U.S. export control laws,
including the EAR and the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations
(ITAR).

Reco