Re: dash/bash: exec behaviour change on Buster

Hi,

tomas wrote:
> that most probably is due to a change
> in behaviour of "x-terminal-emulator".

My suspicion too. If the x-terminal-emulator puts itself into background,
then the starting terminal ends immediately.

test_script:

  #!/bin/sh
  xterm &

Executed by

  chmod u+x ./test_script
  exec ./test_script

kills the terminal.

(Combining "exec" and "&" in the interactive shell does not kill the
 shell and the terminal:
  exec xterm &
)

What happens if you run

  x-terminal-emulator

without "exec". Does the shell prompt come back immediately ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas