Re: dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration (Swedish with "|")

Hi David, which "driver doesn't seem to have a clue"?

//Erik

sorry for top posting

On 17 July 2019 01:22:52 CEST, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat 11 May 2019 at 10:10:42 (+0200), Erik Josefsson wrote:
[…]
That encourages me to ask another stupid question: I'd like to know
why the "Keyboard model" has to be set before "Keyboard layout" when
walking through the dpkg-reconfigure menues?

If it was the other way around, the first choice, "Keyboard layout",
could perhaps make an informed selection from the list of "Keyboard
models" that could be relevant at all.

I wasn't aware that dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration had
any decision-making abilities like that. I think it just turns
multiword descriptive lists into the pithy descriptions, so that
you don't have to know that a "Generic 105-key (Intl) PC" keyboard
becomes "pc105" and a Right Alt key for AltGr becomes "lv3:ralt_switch".

In any case, what you care about as a user is "Keyboard layout", and
in most cases when you have to make a series of choices, you start
with your known knowns, not your known unknowns.

My experience is that Keyboard Models is critical. Without getting
that correct, defining CapsLock as my Compose key is futile because
the driver doesn't seem to have a clue where the CapsLock is.
(That's for an "Acer laptop" PC.)

Cheers,
David.