Re: Looking for a Couple of Programs in Buster

Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> writes:
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ckermit
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/dosemu
> A very useful site, in my experience, and tragically not well known.

	That is really good information.  Thanks.

  I am not even sure if dosemu
will do what I need and ckermit was always my goto terminal when
I need to blast bytes at a radio scanner or anything else using
serial comm.

	Anyway, as a computer user who happens to be blind, I
have a DOS diskette that reportedly has the ability to make your
PC boot off of a usb port even if such capabilities are unknown
to the BIOS.  Maybe, and I stress maybe, dosemu might let one
hear the menu to know which key to press.  When one actually uses
the disk, one isn't going to hear that menu but you just wait for
the disk to stop turning and press the desired key.

	Being able to hear the menu would depend on whether or
not the emulator has ASCII characters to work with or just
bit-mapped pixels.

	The ultimate goal here is to be able to usb-boot a thumb
drive containing debian wheezy as I have some development tools
that compile in that wheezy version and do not compile in today's
world.
	When I am not using the PIC development system, I could
boot normally in to buster or stretch on that same system.

	I don't like to throw out older PC's as long as they can
still do useful work. This particular system is a 600-MHZ Pentium
with a GB of RAM, too slow to do gnome but good enough for email,
audio and general tinkering.

Again, thanks for the tracker info.

Martin McCormick