Re: Own MTA is hard (was: chromebook)

	Hi.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:22:40AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:33:58PM -0400, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:52 PM Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 06:48:22PM +0200, mjonsson1986@gmail.com wrote:
> > > xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="
> > > http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml"; xmlns="
> > > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type
> > > content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft
> > > Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
> > >
> > > Please post only text, not HTML.  If your email agent *cannot* do plain
> > > text alone, at least configure it to send both plain text and HTML.  Or,
> > > y'know, get a better email agent.
> > >

> > As a Gmail User, but with a corporate (Universe?) email address (
> > sea7kenp@eyeblinkuniverse.com), running on a hosted Ubuntu 16.04.6 Server
> > with Exim4 4.86.2 running its Mail.  I administer it via ssh, and get email
> > via alpine 2.20.  I used to use that corporate email for my technical email
> > lists, until Gmail started putting MY OWN email into my Spam Folder.  I
> > just tried it now.  Google's Error message:  "Why is this message in spam?
> > It is in violation of Google's recommended sender guidelines",  So now,
> > Google is running the Internet?  Those Universe emails were DEFINITELY text
> > only!
>
> Most probably you'll have to implement SPF and/or DKIM [1, 2]

Both, and a DMARC too. Also, valid PTR records. While not required by
any RFC, valid PTRs are considered mandatory by some big players like
GMail.

> As this was happening to me more and more (people "on" some variant of
> googlemail, or hotmail/outlook/some other Microsoft mail thingy, etc.
> not receiving my mails -- and digging further yes, receiving them in
> their spam folders and thus not seeing them), I bit the bullet and
> went for SPF/DKIM (I hadn't the guts for DMARC yet, I don't particularly
> like that one).

DKIM is very straightforward. There are some "gotchas" if you're sending
mails to the maillists - some maillists just love to modify arbitrary
e-mail headers, which leads to failed DKIM checks - but they can be
solved.

Reco