Re: Upgrading to Buster but keeping Postgresql-9.6

On Lu, 08 iul 19, 22:24:17, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > Is upgrading to buster a necessity? Stretch will be supported by Debian
> > for one more year and probably some more by the LTS effort.
>
> Indeed, not upgrading to Buster is a possibility.  Also upgrading PostgreSQL
> to version 11 is a possibility.  I think I understand the issues with each
> of those options, but I don't have a good understanding of the issues with
> trying to keep pg-9.6 on Buster.

You can test that yourself as follows:

1. debootstrap buster in an empty directory.
2. chroot to it and add stretch to sources.list[1]
3. try to 'apt install' PostgreSQL forcing the version from stretch
   ('-t stretch' might work, otherwise you must use package/version)

Or just install buster in a VM.

If you need more help with any of the steps please do post exactly what
you did (full commands and output) as well as the output of
'apt policy'.

In case you get unresolvable dependency conflicts another option might
be to recompile the stretch PostgreSQL package(s) on buster (i.e.
forward-port), if the build dependencies are satisfiable on buster.

[1] setting Default-Release to buster or pinning recommended, but
probably not required, because apt *should* prefer the newer packages,
unless told to do otherwise (i.e. '-t stretch').

Kind regards,
Andrei